Sunday 15 March 2015

Dear Mum, I love you

It's Mother's Day once again. A day I am blessed to celebrate both as a mum and with my mum. I'm aware that one day this may not be the case so I am going to drink in all it entails and feel lucky. 
My two little ones appeared this morning with homemade cards created at Grandma's house while I was at work. I love the thought that has gone into them and Madeline's little poem she wrote, reduced me to tears. 

" Mum is the best
Without any rest 
She runs around
And makes everyone proud
She multitasks everyday
I don't think anyone else could do it this way.
She cooks brilliant food
And she's never in a mood 
Mum is the best
Mum is the best
She welcomes every guest
But the most thing I love about her is that her love never runs out."

Fin drew a beautiful rose for me. 

My parents had taken the children to buy me a small gift for which I am so grateful, but the best gift has to be the squashed cupcake that Madeline had hidden in her school bag since Friday. She had bought it at the comic relief cake sale. I have to be honest, I'm not sure I'll eat it- but I love it and all it symbolises about the sweet girl that is my daughter. 

Today we will head out to one of our favourite little spots, quiet and peaceful, and I will enjoy the company and presence of my two little joys who really are the essence of who I am. This past two years have been a tough journey, sometimes so painful that it has taken all that I am to keep smiling and carry on but my conviction to give the children a happy, loving childhood has kept me going alongside my family and some very special friends who have supported me relentlessly.  

While I am blessed today, I am aware of the pain and sorrow some will also be feeling. 
There are those who have lost their  mum and today will feel lost and sad, it's a day to endure. Go to a place that you feel close to your mum, close your eyes, see her smile and remember all that she was and all that she had helped you become. Say her name, remember her and don't be afraid to let the tears roll. If your babies have lost their mummy, bring her alive with photos and stories about her. Write her a letter, draw her a picture. I love this poem and think it will resonate with lots of people today 



There are those who have lost their children, what pain as a mother could be greater? I know of a mummy today who's heart will be heavy and eyes will be full, I am interviewing her soon for an article about her beautiful girl, my past pupil who died two years ago. Sarah, the little girl with the chocolate button eyes and the sweet smile. I know there are a lot of mummies out there in the same situation and my heart aches for you. I will not take my children for granted today. 

Wishing you all a happy Mother's Day however it is spent and wishing peace to those who need it today.
X X X


No comments:

Post a Comment